Sunday, April 12, 2009

Another Wedding

Congratulations to the newly weds! You may remember I shot Cicily and Casey's engagement and bridal picture a while back. Yesterday we shot their wedding in downtown Greensboro at the Carolina theater. It was a long day. Traveling from the theater to hair, to make-up, and then back to the theater, but we had a great time. It was a great ceremony at this old theater.

During the kind of formal (I say kind of, because I generally don't shoot formals all that often..it's just the way I do it) you have to keep your eyes on your subjects between shots. And knowing these two they are always goofing of. They had a stage, and they played it to the hilt. Here the bride almost fell over when she started to slip....you just can't plan these things. The shot looks very theatrical to me, and it really works on the plain stage they had set up.

The shot was with a SB800 into a reflective umbrella on each side of the stage. It was triggered with an on camera SB900 set to 1/32 to provide just a touch of front fill light.

We had to get a couple more environmental portraits in to show off the feel of the wedding. Here we moved outside quickly. We shot this with a SB800 in a Lastolite EzyBox, triggered with a SB900.


And finally I tried something a little more dramatic. I shot a SB900 zoomed to 200mm through a really cool window that had some great cross bracing. I was hoping for some cool shadows....but!It was late, I was tired and I did not even take into account that the window glass was that old frosted kind of stuff. The light hit it, and immediately wrapped around that cross bracing, and got diffused in a hurry. the result, no cool shadows. So I just opened up the windows to provide some sharpness when the light hit them. I fired the SB900 somewhere around 1/8th power. I adjust for the ambient can lights in the alcove behind them. Framed them up inside the background lights, and shot away. One thing to note when you are using a hard light like this is to watch for odd shadows. I had to have the groom lower his near hand about an inch or two in order to avoid some weird looking finger shadows on the brides face.

No comments: